Do you ever find yourself contemplating the high price of cosmetics and whether it’s worth it? I personally do it all the time and wonder if I’m missing out. Sure it’s great to save and purchase drugstore products and splurge for those staple items. But have you wondered if there are “knock-off’s” that will work just as well as the department store, high-end brands? I hope you answered yes, because this week we are talking about Steals vs. Splurge products.
With countless beauty brands on the market and thousands of colors and products to choose from, there are bound to be duplicates, right? Some companies have their secret sauce down pact and others are out there to try and capture their market share. Some have been successful while others have failed.
I took a handful of my current favorite products and pitted them against their high-end or drug store competitors. While some of the products I’m still willing to splurge on, others I can probably get away with the drugstore versions, and so can you (unless you’re a die-hard makeup person, in which case I completely understand the desire to buy the real thing)! Again, sometimes it is worth save and going with the “steal”.
1. Luminous and radiant looks are all over. Getting that “summer” glow is what we all strive for. The YSL Touche Eclat is the BEST thing on the market. While I currently am trying out the Maybelline Dream Lumi, nothing compares to the real thing. But if you don’t want to fork over the $$ for the YSL version, the drugstore brand isn’t so bad.
Yves Saint Laurent Touche Èclat
Maybelline Dream Lumi
2. Finding the right eye primer is essential and I fell in love with the MAC “Bare Study” paint pot years ago. Problem is, I have an issue spending the $$ on it. Enter Maybelline Color Tattoo “Barely Blended”. This looks and feels like the identical twin of “Bare Study”.
MAC Cosmetics Bare Study Paint Pot
Maybelline Color Tattoo Barely Blended
3. I love lip color but have a problem spending money on a lipstick or gloss. It’s that one beauty product that I just can’t find the courage to splurge all the time. A few weeks ago I checked out the MAC “Yum Yum” lipstick and loved the color, especially how intense it is. As luck would have it, that lip color went missing almost immediately after getting it home (I blame the cat). I was left with the empty feeling of wanting a hot pink lip color but not wanting to splurge. My solution? Milani Rose Hips lip color. There was a slight texture difference but the color and pigment itself is so similar that I didn’t feel guilty about making this purchase.
MAC Cosmetics Yum Yum Lipstick
Milani Rose Hips Lipstick
4. I have probably talked about the NARS “Orgasm” blush on here a hundred times and back. It is literally that great! Maybe you don’t want to spend the $$ on the high end brand and want something that is similar. I introduce to you Bare Minerals “Vintage Peach” mineral blush. I’ve had this pot for a few years now, and still have half a container. This color fills in for NARS when I run out and have yet to make a trip to Sephora to restock. While it’s similar, it’s just not the same.
NARS Cosmetics Orgasm Blush
Bare Minerals Vintage Peach Blush
5. Not every BB Cream should be created equal. I use the Maybelline and have tried a sample of the Bobbi Brown BB Cream. The outcome? I honestly didn’t notice too much of a difference.
Maybelline BB Cream
Bobbi Brown BB Cream
6. Eye makeup remover is another one of those products that I don’t splurge on. I did receive a sample of the Lancome Bi-Facil after a purchase I made at Nordstrom and liked it. It worked well and took all my mascara off –which is generally a tough thing to do. I wasn’t willing to spend the money to buy the full bottle and instead purchased the simple Skincare eye makeup remover. It works just as well in my opinion.
Lancôme Bi-Facil Eye Makeup Remover
simple Skincare Eye Makeup Remover
7. MASCARAS! Remember my first Must Have post where I said I HAD to HAVE MASCARA?! It’s a must have and I’m always trying new things just to see. I’m completely in love with the Lancome Hypnose Drama. The Maybelline Falsies is similar and would do if in a pinch, but it’s not the exact same.
Lancôme Hypnôse Drama
Maybelline Falsies Mascara
– Jamie of The Lady and The Beard