There were so many topics I wanted to discuss this month that I had to be very selective with the time and what I did actually post. But there was one thing I knew I had to cover and that was the February Must Haves. This month isn’t over yet so fear not. All of these products were NEW to me in the month of February and helped cure my winter blues. Polar Vortex, massive amounts of snow, dry air, and cold bitter temperatures plagued most of the United States so we all need a good product or two as a pick me up. We’ve earned it after this disaster of a winter!
1. philosophy hope in a jar foundation – the makeup gods shed their light down upon me and introduced foundation from philosophy. Can you hear the little harps playing? There are 3 different options they released and I had the chance to try a sample of the hope in a jar foundation. This lightweight formula is great when you are trying to avoid heavy makeup and your skin is already dry, tight, and abused from the winter. Plus, it has some of the great added benefits of hope in a jar skincare (brighter, tighter skin) while giving a light-medium coverage. I’m one for full coverage but didn’t mind this texture and would definitely consider using it on my “off” makeup days.
2. butter LONDON ‘Boho Rock’ Nail Lacquer in Lucy In The Sky – I can only handle so much of the reds and blacks before I need something nude on my nails. The entire ‘Boho Rock’ collection is great, but Lucy is my favorite. Nude, simple with just the perfect hint of shimmer.
3. L’Occitane Verbena Body Salt Scrub – Alright, ladies…who has severe dry skin right now? I am not afraid to throw my hand up because I do. It’s horrible. I feel like a scaly alligator with no relief in sight! I need to exfoliate often in the winter and my new favorite is the Verbena Body Salt Scrub. It smells great, it does the trick of sloughing all the dead skin off and it contains Vitamin A leaving my skin smooth and bright. I’m like a new woman on body scrub beauty days.
4. Origins Drink Up 10 Minute Mask – After you’ve scrubbed your body, it’s time to take care of your face. Don’t neglect your money maker and hydrate that pretty face. It’s a 10 minute mask that leaves your face smooth and flake free. Add this into your regime (that we talked about in the beginning of the year) to give your skin that extra hydration it needs right now. Dry winter air can have your face screaming for help and this is the perfect pick me up.
5. Bite Beauty Agave Lip Mask – I will openly admit I only tried this because I went into Sephora and asked for a sample. I use chapstick and lip butters daily but thought I would give this a go. WOW! I applied it at night, as recommended and in the morning I woke up with soft lips. That may not be an area of concern for you, but for this pregnant lady, sleeping and heavy breathing at night has become my favorite pastime and I always wake up with dry chapped lips. My sample is almost out so I will be heading to Sephora to purchase the full size of this lip mask.
6. The Body Shop Body Brush Round – Dry brushing is apparently a thing these days and when I first heard about it on Refinery29 I thought to myself…um riiiight. But I have an exfoliating brush at home so I decided to try it. I think now I’m in love. It’s a great alternative to body scrubs and according to the article has some great health benefits too.
7. The NARSissist Cheek Kit – This one needs no explanation. If you’ve been reading The Makeup Lady posts for a while, you know my love of NARS blush and bronzers. This kit is a highlighter, bronzer and blush IN ONE, with a brush. Enough said.
8. Burt’s Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream – If you’re not tired of the dry skin beauty products yet…then I have one more for you. A cheap purchase to make but with extreme payoff. Burt’s Bees is great for all natural lip balm and beauty products. Cuticle cream is another one that they excel at. Apply regularly if you are an extreme hand washer, after an at-home manicure or before bed each night.
9. Oribe Moisture and Control Conditioner – The perks of being married to a hairstylist is knowing about great hair care products and brands. Also when he’s gifted full size product, I reap the rewards. I tried this conditioner out after my recent haircolor and was told, with a strict stern voice, that I was to only use a dime size amount…NO MORE! I did as I was told but felt that during my shower, it was not enough product, my hair was going to be dry and I would complain the rest of the day about how I could have used more. He was right and I should have listened to his professional advice and not complained. Great to use as a weekly or bi weekly conditioner. And remember, a little goes a long way!
-Jamie of The Lady and The Beard