The best time of year is upon us – New Year’s Eve! Christmas is exciting, but nothing beats the fancy times of ringing in the New Year. Anything goes with fashion and makeup. It’s also the time when you need to invest in many pieces because a typical NYE look shouldn’t be basic. Metallics and sequins will be all over the place and you can pair your eyes with a matching look or go smokey. I personally prefer a dark, sexy eye for NYE as it’s truly the only time you can pull off such a look. Whether you’re opting for a gold metallic look, or a soft pink and white sequin look, either of these makeup options will help you stand out as the ball drops.
This is my personal favorite look. Rich smokey eyes, pale lips and cheeks. It’s sultry and shows you don’t mess around. Between the two looks Julia put together, I think this one is best suited for the Rose Gold Dress look. Why? Smokey eye colors tend to be of the gray and silver variety and it may be just a bit too much for the gold ModCloth dress. Here’s what you’ll need:
1. NARS Eye Paint in Interstellar – all over the lid, only! This will help to prep those dark shadows, help to transform them and give them staying power.
2. Too Faced Smokey Eye Collection – this is where the fun begins. Start by packing on the darkest color you can handle. If you want to go for the darkest smokey eye possible, start with the matte navy color all over the eye lid. Blend the bronzy brown in the crease and add a little matte black in the outer corner of the eye, to get that perfect cat eye shape. Dap a little sugar white on the brow bone and inner corner of the eye to brighten your eye up.
3. Stila Sparkle Waterproof Liquid Liner – It’s NYE afterall and the more sparkle the better.
4. Laura Mercier Caviar Stick in Rose Gold – time to line your waterline for a punch of color. This rose cold will complement your dress perfectly, and help open up your eye to balance out all the dark eye colors.
5. Sephora Collection Day Night and Glam Lash Set – depending on how glam you feel, throw on some false lashes.
6. Benefit BADgal Lash Mascara – even with false lashes you need a little bit of mascara to blend your real lashes with the fake lashes. Don’t forget your bottom lashes!
7. Smashbox Fusion Soft Lights – This bronzy, rose gold face color will give you just enough color on your cheeks without going overboard. Leave all the drama for your eyes and keep your cheeks and lips neutral.
8. NARS Larger Than Life Gloss in Candy Says – finish off your look by applying some gloss to your lips. Then don’t forget to toss your lip color in your clutch as you’ll need to reapply through the evening.
Back during week one of our December Series, I showed a gold glitter look. For NYE you can use the same look but turn it up 10 notches. This look is best for the Gold Dress look. You may be thinking that it’s too matchy matchy. But you’re not going to be left with only gold eyes, gold lips, gold cheeks and a gold dress. We just want to add some metallic shimmer to the eyes to help them POP!
1. Too Faced Shadow Insurance Glitter Glue – this product will amp up your shimmer. It’s going to feel weird going on but trust me, it will give the payoff you want out of your cosmetic glitter. Apply ONLY to the lid area.
2. Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Glitter in Gold – pack this on! Layer, layer and layer until you get the desired look.
3. Bare Minerals Power Neutrals Set – Another great set depending on how intense you want to get. Blend the matte brown shadow on the outer corner of the eye into the crease. Sweep the lightest cream shadow shade onto the brown bone and down into the corner of the eye.
4. Laura Mercier Caviar Stick in Sugar Frost – Just like with the smokey eye look, this bright, shimmery color on your waterline will instantly open up the eye.
5. Sephora Collection Day Night and Glam Lash Set – again, you always need lashes for New Year’s Eve.
6. Benefit BADgal Lash Mascara – don’t forget a coat of mascara.
7. NARS Blush in Miss Liberty – Again, keep it soft with your cheeks. No rosy reds or pinks for this night.
8. MAKE UP FOR EVER Aqua Lip Waterproof Pencil in Dark Plum – I had to add in a rich looking lip. I think Julia would unfriend me if there wasn’t at least one bold lip in this post! Instead of reds, go for plums! This waterproof lip pencil is great because you can outline and fill in your entire lip for a longer lasting look. It will be less upkeep throughout the night too.
9. Sephora Collection Cream Lip Stain in Plum – finish off with a coat of this fabulous lip cream stain. You’ll need to reapply less, but don’t forget to take it with you.
TIPS + TRICKS
Do your eyes BEFORE your foundation. Or if you want to take a chance, try using eye makeup shields.
Keep baby wipes or makeup wipes handy. This is great to help clean up the eye area after each step, especially with the dark and glittery shadows. Plus it will help when you apply your concealer and foundation later on.
Have a friend handy to help with lashes. Don’t be afraid to trim them down if they are too long. You don’t need a wing of false lashes flapping off and hanging down on your eye throughout the night.
Practice! Do a trial run before New Years. Especially if you don’t consider yourself makeup savvy. Don’t go into that night with your first time trying cosmetic glitters or a deep smokey eye. Chances are you’ll end up crying on the bathroom floor in frustration.
Blend-blend-blend-blend-blend-blend-blend! Did I mention blend? Blending is key! Keep one brush, and only one brush aside for blending.
So try out your looks and leave comments on questions, concerns or success you’re having!
– Jamie of The Lady and The Beard