Oh look, black. I’d love to tell you that I tried to add color to this wishlist but that would be a straight up lie. I can’t help it. I went shopping the other day and you know what I came home with? A black coat. Also a navy and gray STRIPED shirt – stripes, my other weakness. I’m wondering, is it the weather or me? It’s wintertime but there are a ton of black options and not a lot of colorful ones. Is it just us up here in the rainy Pacific-Northwest? Or is it different in different cities? Please let me know.
This wishlist came about first because everyone and their mother seems to be evaluating their closet now that the new year has begun, and second because I have a birthday next month and that means presents! While everyone else is purging their closet and doing the ribbon method, where you try to make new outfits out of clothes you already have, I’m looking to see what holes in my wardrobe I can fill this year. Many of the items below are useful year round but I figured I’d call this a winter wishlist because come spring I’ll be hunting for pastels, or something Barbie would approve of. My one ‘radiant orchid’ sweater got a lot of use last spring and summer so I’m thinking maybe aquamarine or scuba blue this year? We’ll see. Until then, enjoy these picks.
1. Hunter Original High Gloss Boot – This is the year I finally get a pair of Hunters. Original, high gloss, beautiful black Hunter rain boots. They’re classic! How do I live in the PNW and not own a pair of rain boots? Oh, that’s right, because our rain is more like a drizzle so we wear all kinds of shoes and don’t care. However, in winter it rains, a lot. Some people buy snow boots for winter, PNW people buy rain boots.
2. Nine West Speakup Pointed Toe Flats Leopard Print – I had been waiting for the right time to purchase some Ivanka Trump flats in leopard print but I waited too long and now they’re gone. I’m hoping I get lucky and I find them in store but I might have to find a new favorite. These Nine West leopard print flats look very similar.
3. J.Crew Wool Melton Hooded Bib Jacket – On a recent trip to J.Crew I tried this on with no intention of buying it but it fit so well that I was hooked. I’m 5’5″ with a short waist and long arms so I have a hard time finding coats that hit me where I need them to. This coat is perfect and insanely comfortable. I like to call this my fairytale coat because of the big dramatic hood. Will definitely be wearing this all the time.
4. Pina Lace Top from Anthropologie – My lifestyle doesn’t call for a lot of fancy clothes but over the past year I’ve been thinking about my lack of pretty blouses. I may not need gowns but I would like some nice, unique tops to wear out to dinner. This hits multiple things on my checklist for pretty blouses – it’s sheer and it’s lace. Plus, the pineapple print is really fun.
5. New Look Embroidered Blouse from ASOS – Another cute sheer blouse. I thought I’d add some color to um, not seem like I only love black. It’s nice to have a few simple blouses like this in the closet for a date night.
6. Tory Burch Marion Envelope Smartphone Wristlet – Keeping with the date night pieces, I’m in need of a wristlet. When we go out to dinner I’m always lugging around a big bag and there’s that awkwardness of not knowing where to put it once you sit down. This is closer to a wallet but can easily hold lipstick, a few pieces of gum, and the most important item other than money, your phone. I like that this is nice enough for dinner but casual enough for running errands.
7. J.Crew Pixie Pant – I chose the coat above over these thick leggings but these will probably be my next J.Crew purchase. Comfortable while still sucking everything in. A very streamlined, thick legging. They remind me of riding pants more than leggings, especially with the lines in the back.
8. Gorjana G Ring Mixed Set – I’ve been building up my jewelry box and if there’s something I’m missing it’s rings. I love rings and yet I own none. The multiple gold ring look is chic yet subtly rock-n-roll and this set comes with two midi rings.
9. Free People Weekends Layering Tank – There’s a common theme here and it’s comfort. I tried this on recently and it is so soft and so, wait for it…comfortable! I didn’t even think to wear it as a lounging top and now I’m wishing I had purchased it. Next time. As usual with Free People it comes in a bunch of different colors. Pink is pretty, I’ll go with that.