I realized that making gift guides for guys is difficult. Maybe I’ve said this before but I have a hard time separating my wants from guy’s wants. Or I’ll end up picking things I’d buy for Dan, which for past gift guides has been helpful, but this time I wanted to go beyond the slim fitting dude who’s style is part preppy, part Don Draper.
So I guess I’d say this gift guide is slightly edgier, a little more for the guys who spend time outside or pretend they do. This is for the “normal” guys who work 9-5, drink beer, watch football, like to look good but feel comfortable, go on the occasional hike, and grill. Maybe they’ve got a neatly cropped beard, maybe their black lab is their best friend. Point is you all know a guy who fits this mold, and hopefully this gift guide will point you in the right direction when it comes to buying gifts for them.
1. J.Crew Midweight Flannel Shirt in Batavia Plaid – It’s classic! And it’s Christmas time, so plaid is pretty much mandatory. It brings color into his wardrobe via pattern so it’s less daunting than a bright red shirt but it also brings warmth. This is a midweight flannel so it’s warmer than your average cotton button down and it’s extremely soft.
2. Uniqlo Men Mountain Parka – This parka is super affordable but still looks sturdy and like it will keep him dry. It also comes in five colors so you have choices, though I went with the green because it felt very Christmassy.
3. Topman Nep Bobble Beanie – Beanies are the best and guys look cute in beanies, especially dorky pom-pom ones. Like they’re just waiting to get a snowball in the face. I’d normally go for a black or navy beanie but I like the flecked mixed-texture of this stone colored beanie. So cute!
4. Wüsthof Classic Chef’s Knife – A chef’s knife! This is a great gift for dudes who cook. Everyone I know who is really into cooking would love to get a hold of a quality knife like this.
5. Bar Wall Mount Bottle Opener – Every year we go on a weekend vacay with friends and the property we stay at has one of these bottle openers mounted on a shed outside. It is super convenient. This is a great gift for the guy who throws parties at his pad or just likes to kick back with a bottle of suds.
6. HUGO BOSS 3.5cm Tan Carmello Leather Belt – A classic, excellent quality belt is great to have and a really nice gift to give. And that delicious smell of good leather is up there with the manliest scents.
7. Dr Martens Original Black Chelsea Boots – These Dr Martens boots are incredibly durable, comfortable, and he can wear them with pretty much everything short of a suit. Plus, they’re made of 100% leather so they’ll do that lovely foot molding thing.
8. Rag & Bone One Skinny-Fit Selvedge Denim Jeans – Black jeans are a staple piece but this particular pair is on the skinny side. Dan received a similar pair for his birthday. At first he thought there was no way he’d be able to wear super skinny jeans, but they ended up looking really good and they also give him a certain attitude. It’s funny because he thinks he shouldn’t wear them if he’s going to eat a big meal, so now he knows what it’s like to be a girl.
9. S’well ‘Wood Collection – Teakwood’ Stainless Steel Water Bottle (25 Oz.) – Dan and I saw these while shopping the other day and we were like, “whoa”. These water bottles stay cold for 24 hours and warm for 12! Amaze-balls. We want one but I figured this wood version felt very manly and perfect for the gift guide.
10. Chemex Glass Coffee Maker With Wood Collar – I’ve seen these all over Instagram. People seem to love them and they look so classy. For the dude who enjoys coffee, I’d go with this incredibly elegant and simple coffee maker.
11. J.Crew Sussex Quilted Jacket – Pretty and not too puffy, this quilted jacket promises to keep his style on point and keep him warm this winter. It’s hard to find coats that are fit for the cold but aren’t awkwardly stiff, but this jacket does the trick and promises rugged comfort.
12. Nixon ‘The 51-30 Chrono’ Watch, 51mm – This is definitely a splurge gift but it’s one that has a decent chance of going on sale so bookmark this beauty. It’s just so gorgeously sleek. Dan liked all black but I love the rose gold and black version. Sexy.
13. Fuego Box – Dan will not stop talking about this monthly hot sauce club. One night he came home and was just like, “Julia, there’s this monthly subscription you can get where they just send you different types of hot sauces! We need to do it!” We have yet to do it but I think it might happen, they even do quarterly boxes for those who don’t down sauce that quick. This one’s for hot sauce lovers.[show_shopthepost_widget id=”1198028″]