This week’s post is brought to you with a friendly reminder to wear sunscreen and take care of your skin. You guys, after reading this article on Refinery29 (warning, graphic image) I was terrified and invested in spf50 sunscreen for my vacation. Let’s face it, we’ve all been victims of the tanning bed or lack of sunscreen while out enjoying the summer sun. We become sun obsessed and most ladies are out there 5 times a week or more baking in the sun or tanning bed.
But what we don’t realize in those moments is that our skin is weakening and we’re destroying the largest and best organ on our body. I’m not telling you to not enjoy the sun. But do so responsibly. And if you’re like me and you’re prone to sunburns because your skin is practically translucent, then invest in some sunless tanners to get you through the season.
I went through a phase when I hated my pale skin and started applying self tanners. It was the safest option to look tan without sacrificing my skin in the sun. Added to that I can’t sit still long enough outside to even get a tan so bring on the bottle of bronzed goodness! I think most women are turned off by sunless self tanners because of the drawbacks. You can have a tendency to look orange (it will happen from time to time), there will likely be a weird smell(it’s not pleasant) and the application process isn’t easy (try applying product to your back). Thankfully I’ve provided a post 2 years ago that will help with some of those issues. Start here before beginning the application process.
Now that you’ve prepped your skin it’s time to decide on the right self tanner for you. There are SO MANY products on the market and they are not all the same. You’d be surprised how much they vary in their texture and color. Last year I rounded up the different types to make the shopping process that much easier. This year you have the same amount of options plus more. From gels to oils and creams to lotions I’ve rounded up every single best self tanner out there. Prep your skin, pick your potion, and get to tanning…the safe and simple way.
- Xen-Tan ‘Transform Luxe’ Premium Sunless Tanner – Your standard sunless lotion but with a hint of vanilla. So you might be thinking that you’ll end up smelling like a sweaty, rotten vanilla bean but I’m here to tell you that’s not true. The scent actually helps cover up the horrible sunless tanner smell (which they all tend to have) and gives you gradual color. Best for the fair complected ladies out there.
- Tropez Self Tan Bronzing Mousse – St. Tropez is the creme de la creme of the sunless tanners. If you want to invest in the perfect, healthy glow then reach for the St. Tropez. The mousse is easy to apply and leaves you with streak free skin. AND contains Aromaguard, “fragrance technology made to eliminate the tell-tale self-tan aroma by a minimum of 70% and instead gives a subtle yet refreshing fragrance”.
- bareMinerals Faux Tan Body – My absolute favorite sunless tanner. From my days of working at bareMinerals, I invested in bags of bottles to make sure I had the perfect tan all year round. The color appears green but leaves you with a golden-bronze color. The only downside is that this product does and will give you that typically nasty smell. In my eyes it’s worth it for the outcome.
- Tropez Shower and Glow – The first of its kind, this self tanner develops in the shower! Yes, you’ve read that correctly. This 3 minute treatment is applied in the shower and the color begins to develop. Apply as you’re finishing your shower and rinse after 3 minutes and watch the color continue to develop over the next 8 hours. I don’t know all of the specifics of how it works but let’s just say it’s science at its finest. Who wouldn’t want to go in for a shower and come out looking tan. Plus clean up is easy because it’s all contained within the tub.
- Dennis Gross Skincare ‘Alpha Beta Glow Pads’ – Last year it seemed to be the year of the Kate Sommerville tanning pads and this year it’s all about Dr. Dennis Gross. While the process is the same, the product and ingredients are not. The Alpha Beta Glow Pads contain vitamin D that help to smooth rough and bumpy skin while it tans your skin. If you’re getting started, tanning pads are the best option.
- tarte Brazilliance Skin Rejuvenating Maracuja Face and Body Self Tanner – This is the first self tanning gel/oil that you don’t need to exfoliate prior to applying. Why? Brazilliance contains Maracuja Oil which is a super hydrator and replenisher for the skin. Application is easy for this one as it comes with the tanning mitt to avoid the orange, streaky spots on your hands after the application process. The color develops in about 4 hours and lasts for about 7-10 days.
- Origins ‘The Great Pretender’ – A tinted self tanner that gives you instant tanning gratification and continues to develop throughout the day. The smell is a blend of mint and citrus and a hint of self tanner. The consistency is quite liquidy so a little goes a long way. Because of this it also makes it best for sunless tanner beginners. It’s easy to apply and smooths on the skin quickly so you don’t have the need to rush to rub it in before it dries. Make sure to exfoliate prior to use on this one or you may end up with intense patches of color on the driest parts of our arms and legs.
– Jamie of Hello There, Lady!